Friday, April 6, 2018

A-Z of Crafts

 


F--Fabric


*Warning--Bit of a longer post.

I will confess right here: I LOVE FABRIC!!

I may have a bit too much if. It sits in a
drawer in my sewing room waiting. I go
through phases of sewing and trying to
use what I have BUT there are occasions
that I just have to go to JoAnn's or Hobby
Lobby. When I first learned how to sew,
there were A LOT more fabric stores than
there are now. Even Wal-Mart has downsized
their fabric selection. Plus it is so expensive!
Okay better get on with this post.

A little history-

For many, many, many years their were only
natural fabrics, they came from the fibers of
Flax, Silk, Cotton and Wool and they were
produced from renewable natural sources.

Linen-
Around 5000 BC the Egyptians began to
produce linen. It was made from  wild
flax and spun into yarn.
They used the linen for bandages and
clothing.
The Romans wore linen under other
garments.
By the middle ages wearing linen under
garments became so popular that the
word "linen" came to mean "underwear"
and the word "lingerie" is derived from it.

Cotton-
Came into existence between 5000 and
3000 BC.
There is evidence that people in ancient
China, India and Egypt were spinning, 
weaving and dying cotton.
India began to produce cotton textiles
around 400 BC-they used  cotton rolling
machines to remove seeds from the cotton
fibers.
The power loom was invented in 1884,
which helped the speed of cotton production.

Wool-
Around 5000 BC sheep were bred for their
meat and not their wool. It was shorter and
coarser than today's wool.
As the best sheep were kept for breeding the
wool improved and became more useful.
By 5000 BC it became easier to spin.
By 3000 BC there were around 40 different
breeds producing 200 types of wool.
As garments were made from wool, they were
worn over linen to provide a warm layer . I
would think also keep away from their skin
since it can be so itchy.

Silk-
It is believed that silk was discovered by a
Chinese Princess around 2500 BC.
Silk is made from two threads joined together
and used to form the cocoon of the silkworm.

A lot going on in the "BC" age where fabric
was concerned.


G is up tomorrow.


~Keep on Dreaming~

4 comments:

  1. I miss the old fabric stores! They were my favorite haunts. My fabric stash was something to behold. Since we've moved a couple of times, I have weeded it out, but still have a couple of boxes. I don't sew much at all anymore, but I just can't part with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right there with you!
      You just never know when you might use it. I have three baby gifts coming up.

      M : )

      Delete
  2. I love fabrics although these days my love of fabrics revolves around linens, luganas, and jobelans for counted cross stitch. The colors and hand, oh my!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo, I love that you brought these up. didn't know what some were, glad you explained.
      I haven't done any cross stitching for awhile.

      M : )

      Delete

Thanks! Hope you enjoyed today's post. Come back soon.

Blog QR Tag

Blog QR Tag