Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Happy Birthday To....

Her name -- Barbie Millicent Roberts, she is from
Willow, Wisconsin and TODAY is her BIRTHDAY!
Barbie made her debut -- March 9, 1959.
**********************************************
Barbie was created by Ruth Handler and her husband,
they were the founders of Mattel.
She was named after Handler's daughter -- her
nickname was Barbie. Mrs. Handler passed away
April 27, 2002.
***********************************************
351,000 Barbies were sold in 1959. They were sold
for $3 each.
***********************************************
His name -- Ken Carson -- Barbie's boyfriend debut
in 1961 and was named after the Handler's son.
***********************************************
Family and Friends --
Skipper -- The Sister
Francie -- The Cousin
Midge -- The Best Friend
PJ -- Friend
************************************************
Barbie has held a variety of careers -- She is a "Go to Gal!"
These careers have shown that women can take on a
variety of roles in life.
Some of her careers --
Fashion Model---Military Officer
Rockette--- President
Olympic Gymnast--- Police/Firefighter
Teacher ---Doctor
NASCAR driver
To name a few.
************************************************
I loved playing with my Barbie dolls when I was
young. My friends and I could spend hours playing
with our dolls, their houses, clothes, cars etc. etc.
I NEVER felt like I need to look like Barbie she
was just another doll that I had. Soooo much has
been made of this. I'm not saying that it's not possible
but her figure is Not overly possible in the real world.
I still have most of my Barbie things--they a currently
in storage but they have been well kept. One of my
favorite "Barbie" memories is of my Mom making
little bitty clothes for Barbie and her friends! :)
*************************************************
Head over to "Two Crazy Crafters"--most Wednesdays
Lindsey does a "Barbie spot" they are really fun and
interesting!
**************************************************
If you are in the Kansas City area, The Toy and Miniature Museum has a Barbie exhibit until November
2010. Come to town and see it!
~Keep on Dreaming~

9 comments:

  1. I dont care what happens I will always love Barbie. She is so darn cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is so neat that you still have your Barbie dolls! And you did get your real live Ken doll! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved my Barbie dolls. I had the Barbie, Midge and Ken. My mom actually made the wardrobes for them because the clothes were much higher than the dolls.

    Thanks so much for sharin' the history and shankin' up this old gals memories.

    God bless and have a fantastic day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, she looks good for her age! :)

    Debbie
    ouroldhomestead.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. i had a barbie too and i loved it ,i had nice pairs of shooes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I loved my Barbies too. I had Barbie and my sister had Skipper. My mom too made such sweet cloths for both of them---my favorite the wedding dress. I still have mine as well. They live in the funky blue suitcase that I had as a little girl. We also had the Sunshine Family dolls. Did you ever own any of these? Similar to Barbie but without the fun figure (heheheh) Thanks for bringing back such fun memories :)
    Mimi~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't Barbie's history fascinating? I love Barbie facts!
    I was going to mention her Birthday today but I forgot!
    I wonder if The Handler's children felt wierd that the dolls were a couple?
    Have a great evening!
    Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved my Barbie and the only thing that traumatized me about her figure was that her legs wouldn't bend and it was hard to get her clothes on sometimes. My mom made most of my Barbie clothes (and some of them matching outfits she made for me).

    Thanks for the birthday celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had that exact model of Barbie. Wow. I remember buying clothes for her and it seems like they were anywhere from $4-7. That was darned expensive for 1960.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks! Hope you enjoyed today's post. Come back soon.

Blog QR Tag

Blog QR Tag