Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Tulip Trivia




Since it is Spring and
I think most of us are
having Spring weather,
I thought that we would
look at a Spring favorite.
THE TULIP!
Tulip's are native to
Central Asia, including
Turkey-where the tulip
is the National Flower.
The English word Tulip
is derived from a Persian
word-dulband. Which means
turban.The flower was seen
as a turban shaped, hence
the name.





The tulip is a perennial,
bulbous plant with flowers
in the genus Tulipa of
which 109 species have been
developed.
They are divided into early,
mid and late season bloomers.
To keep the color coming,
choose some from each group.
Holland produces over 3
billion tulip bulbs each
year.
They are the 3rd biggest
selling flower in Holland as
well as the UK.




Tulips are the only flower
that continues to grow in
a vase (up to 3") after
being cut.
They also are known to
conform to the container
or vase they are put in.
Tulips are so popular that
many festivals are held
in their honor.
In a 2009 survey on color
preference by men and
women the order of prefer-
ence.

Men             

Red            
Yellow         
Pale Pink                
Hot Pink                                  
White          
Purple 

Women

Pale Pink
Hot Pink
Peach
Red
Yellow              

What is your favorite
Tulip??


~Keep on Dreaming~

The first two pictures
were taken at our Arbor-
etum and the third was
taken on a garden tour.



6 comments:

  1. I love any color tulip!! Only wish I had some to brighten up my kitchen! Thanks for the interesting trivia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hot pink for sure.....Beautiful
    Great info for us all to know...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love white tulips and a candy cane variety that is so adorable. One of my goals is to be in the Netherlands in tulip time. Wouldn't that be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very Interesting trivia! I guess I would have to say the hot pinks are my favorite. Coincidentally, I showed a picture of one on my post today! It was beautiful being at the St. Louis Botanical Garden at tulip time this year too. Have a great day! Twyla

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tulips are one of my favorites! Yellow, red, pink are my favorite but I love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great share, Melinda. The most spectacular sights are in WA ST & Holland (overseas) when the fields of these are in bloom. Altho, this year I got to visit the Flower Fields in Carlsbad, CA & the fields of tulips were beyond sight. I love them all, no fav's.
    TTFN ~ Marydon

    ReplyDelete

Thanks! Hope you enjoyed today's post. Come back soon.

Blog QR Tag

Blog QR Tag