Thursday, July 14, 2011

N is for...

N is for...Name What does your name mean? My name Melinda comes from Latin/Greek meaning Mild Gentle; sweet like honey. The typical pronunciation of Melinda is /me'linda/ In Romania the emphasis is on the first syllable and in Hungarian the empahsis is on the second syllable. In Hungary--Dec 2nd is Melinda Day--who knew?? In 2009, Melinda was the 319th most popular name and was in the top 1% for that year. Famous Melindas: Melinda Gates--Bill gates wife Film and TV Melinda Gordon--Jennifer Love Hewitt character in Ghost Whisperer In music "Melinda" by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers again who knew? I have always like my name probably because not many people were named this. I did go to school with another Melinda(Mindy) and a Belinda But other than those two I don't know any other Melindas. When I was very little and just learning how to say my name I shortened it to "Endy" because Melinda is a mouthful for a little one. I have one friend who calls me Mel at times. My parents did good with my name! Do you like your name? ***Blogger is on the loose again!!! ~Keep on Dreaming~

5 comments:

  1. I do like my name, but when I was little, I wanted to be "Rebecca" or "Rhonda". Go figure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In real life I'm Carol. I always wanted to be Caroline, but am happy with my name. I was named for my great-grandmother -- post to come -- and my mother also liked the actress Carole Lombard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've grown to love my name, but I really thought it to be quite plain when I was growing up. Back then I thought Esme or Poppy better suited me :-). I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do like my name Melinda, but not my middle name, I cant even say it I hate it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all the information about your name...Mine is just plan ole Angie, Angela really but get this...My Mom wanted to name me either Angela or Samantha so she named me Angela but calls me Samantha (she is Bi-polar) My oldest brother calls me Ann, my baby brother calls me Sis and my husband calls me Alice...That's enough to make me Bi-polar...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks! Hope you enjoyed today's post. Come back soon.

Blog QR Tag

Blog QR Tag