Thursday, April 12, 2018

A-Z of Crafts

 

K--Knitting




Knitting is the process of using two or
more needles to loop yarn into a series
of interconnected loops. Thus creating 
a garment, blanket, scarf or a piece of
fabric. It's origins lie in the basic need
for clothing or protection from the
elements.

Socks from Egypt, dating form the 11th
century are the oldest known knitted
artifact.

It is thought that knitting began in the
Middle East, moving to Europe and later
to the America's.

Knitting was an important occupation for
the people of the Scottish Isles. Fishermen
needed sweaters, socks, scarves etc so
whole families knitted in the 17th-18th
century.

During World War I - Women, men and
children knitted for the war effort.

In the 20's, the western world saw an
increase in knitwear. Especially sweaters
and pullovers.
Coco Chanel picked up the bandwagon in
the fashion world.
The interest in knitting grew after the war
as a hobby or craft. Companies started or
expanded to keep up with the growing
popularity.

The 30's saw The Great Depression and
knitting became a necessity instead of a
hobby. It was cheaper to make clothing
than buy it outright.

1939-1949 saw knitting more for the war
effort. Patterns were made for uniforms
and other needs for the Army and Navy
to wear in the winter.

The 50's and 60's saw more colors and
yarn styles.
Patterns were made for the bolder colors.
The "twinset" came to the fore front.
Girls were taught to knit in school, it was
seen as a useful skill instead of a hobby.

The 80's--A decline began when knitting
became "old fashioned" and it was not
being taught in school.

The 90's--The internet helped keep knitting
in the crafter's eye as patterns and ideas
were readily available to find.
The early 21st century saw a revival in
knitting.
Stars helped popularize the revival.
The internet kept producing patterns,
books, sites to exchange ideas. DIY came
into play with knitting.
Yarns from natural fibers were less costly
and widely available.
Blogging has helped revive the popularity
of knitting too.


Anyone knit?  My mom taught me how, I
haven't picked it up in a very long time
though.


L is on the horizon tomorrow. Come back
by.


~Keep on Dreaming~

6 comments:

  1. My Grandmother tried to teach me, but didn't have any luck. I love seeing everyone's knitting projects and have been the blessed recipient of knitted items.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so nice to receive a knitted gift.

      M : )

      Delete
  2. My mom used to knit and tried to teach me. I couldn't understand it. Perhaps I was too young. Learned a lot from your post today. Didn't know that during WWI and WWII that people knit for military.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome!
      Thanks for stopping by.
      I'm glad you picked up a tidbit
      from my post.
      Come back soon. I'll popped by to see what you are up too.

      M : )

      Delete
  3. It's been a long time but I did some knitting when I was younger. I wish I had kept up with it. Weekends In Maine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome!
      Thanks for stopping by.
      Maybe you could pick it back up
      and see what you can do.
      Come back soon. I'll pop by to see what's going on your way soon.

      M : )

      Delete

Thanks! Hope you enjoyed today's post. Come back soon.

Blog QR Tag

Blog QR Tag