Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The Groovy 60's

Today we are going to test your knowledge on the 60's. As we know it was a turbulent decade but it also had some fun and witty moments too. It was a time of Camelot, Woodstock, Pillbox Hats, Beehives Hair do's for women, Long Hair for men, hot pants, mini-skirts, bellbottoms, "Psychedelic " clothes and music. Let's see what YOU know... 1960--- The year John F. Kennedy was elected. The Olympic Games were held in Rome and Wilma Rudolph won three Gold Medals. 1961--- The year the first manned space flight was made. The Peace Corps was founded. 1962--- The year I was BORN! Marilyn Monroe and Eleanor Roosevelt died 1963--- The year that Kennedy was assassinated. Dr. Martin Luther King gave his "I Have A Dream Speech." 1964--- The year that the Beatles became popular in the US. Barbra Streisand starred in "Funny Girl." 1965--- The year the Vietnam War escalated. New York City had it's "Great Blackout." 1966--- The year that Walt Disney died. Betty Friedan founded the National Organization of Women (NOW). 1967--- The year the first heart transplant was performed in South Africa. Twiggy became a fashion icon. 1968--- The year that Dr. Martin Luther King and Robert Kennedy were assassinated. Shirley Chisholm was elected America's first Black woman to Congress. 1969--- The year the Rock and Roll Concert at Woodstock took place. Sesame Street first airs. and that's the news for this decade--Good Night! ~Keep on Dreaming~

5 comments:

  1. I lived through these years and graduated high school in 1970. It was filled with riots, love-ins, and acid rock. Maybe that's why I'm a little touched! LOL Good night, sweet dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melinda!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. I am hoping to start posting a little more frequently now that things have calmed down for me. Nice to see you blogging too!

    Take Care! Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasnt even born yet...dont hate me lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, I grew up in those years ... I was born 10 years before you!

    They were not the best years in the USA -- lots of strife, riots, fears of nuclear war, arguments among family and friends over political issues -- lots of social upheaval. When a young person tells me I was so "lucky" to grow up in the 60s, I have to laugh -- it has been so romanticized. It was probably the least "romantic" decade of all.

    PS I knew all the events, except YOUR birth! Hahahaha.... best, Cass

    ReplyDelete
  5. You & My son are the same age ... I definitely remember these events.

    1963/4 we watched the movie Hawaii being filmed across from our house. A lot of the military friends were extras in the movie.

    1967 the tent dress was high fashion.

    Have a safe & beautiful holiday weekend. TTFN ~ Marydon

    ReplyDelete

Thanks! Hope you enjoyed today's post. Come back soon.

Blog QR Tag

Blog QR Tag